Disabled People's Association
How Your Donation Makes a Difference
The Disabled People's Association (DPA) is the voice of people with disabilities. On the 28th April 1986 DPA became the first officially registered advocacy organisation in Singapore.
DPA is the only organisation in Singapore dedicated to advocating with all persons with disabilities. It is our mission to work with them to achieve full participation and equal status in society through independent living.
The DPA advocates on behalf of and with persons with disabilities (PWD) to engage with stakeholders, policy makers and other interested parties and ensure PWD are involved in the consultation, implementation and evaluation of policies and programmes that affect them.
It is a fundamental principle of the disability movement that nothing is done for people with disabilities without them. It is for that reason that the DPA engages as many VWOs that provide services to people with disabilities and individuals with disabilities as possible to ensure we are truly representative of the disability community in Singapore.
DPA aims to create awareness about as well as engage people, with or without disabilities, in discussions about disability through public education, training, consultative services, research and advocacy.
Current and Upcoming Programmes:
- Research study on discrimination persons with disabilities face in the workplace
- Disability awareness talks and workshops
- Mentoring student to come up with and run inclusion projects
- Publishing booklets on inclusion in healthcare, education, employment, employment, transport and political participation
- Toolkits of advocacy projects, disability simulations and empowering persons with disabilities to be advocates
- DPA supper club for our members with disabilities