Transient Workers Count Too
How Your Donation Makes a Difference
Transient Workers Count Too extends help to low-wage migrant workers who have been injured, unpaid, or abused by employers. Low-wage migrant workers constitute about one in five persons in Singapore. Doing jobs like construction, sanitation and domestic work, they form the backbone of our society and economy. Yet they are often treated badly by employers. Sometimes, salaries are not paid, rest days denied, housed in unsafe and unhygienic places, physically and psychologically abused, and when injured, abandoned without adequate medical treatment or left with no income. Migrant workers have no family in Singapore to fall back on for help. Doing low-wage work, they do not have savings to tide them through difficulties. TWC2 tries to help by extending a lifeline to those in need.
TWC2 provides the following major services to foreign workers who are not allowed to work and have no income while waiting for the Ministry of Manpower to settle their case:
1. Social work assistance: advice to foreign workers assisting them in obtaining their rightful salaries, medical treatment and injury compensation, and to navigate a bureaucracy that operates in a language foreign to them. TWC2 helped over 700 workers with social work in 2015.
2. The Cuff Road Project: currently this free meal programme from Monday to Saturday in Little India hands out 300 to 400 servings of food daily. Each year, about 2,000 workers register with our meals programme.
3. Emergency Medical Fund: pays for medical treatment for workers abandoned by their employers. We try to recover the treatment expenses when we can, but the fund permits operations, treatment and physiotherapy to go ahead without delay in order to alleviate suffering.
4. FareGo: top-up EZ-link cards to subsidise travel to hospitals; helps ensure that worker meet their medical appointments.
5. Project Roof: helps pay for accommodation of seriously injured workers who, without income and unable to continue staying in employer's dorm, has no other housing option.