How Your Donation Makes a Difference
$10 contributes to high quality sports training for athletes with intellectual disabilities.
$50 contributes to empower athletes with social and leadership skills as advocates for inclusion.
$100 contributes to train healthcare professionals and provide better healthcare to treat people with ID.
$200 contributes to develop Unified sports and inclusion programmes and foster positive attitudes towards people with ID.
Your continuous support plays a pivotal role in supporting people with ID to not only take to the playing field but have a profound impact on the way society views and includes them.
The Asia Pacific region is headquartered in Singapore, to oversee the operations of the Special Olympics Movement in 35 countries from Afghanistan to the Pacific Islands. Special Olympics Asia Pacific (SOAP) is the largest region (out of seven) in the world, serving more than 1.9 million people with ID.
Founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, the Special Olympics movement has grown to more than 4.4 million athletes in 170 countries.
Help us provide people with ID with a unified place where we can live, work and play together!
Here are our core area of focus for SOAP:
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- Train the Trainer Programmes - for coaches to improve their sports skills
- Athlete Leadership - for individuals to improve their social skills
- Getting athletes independent & employable
HEALTH & FITNESS
- Improve access to fitness through new technology like Sprout fitness app
- Train healthcare professionals to treat people with ID
- Provide guidance, support to families to prevent health problems
- Develop a center of research to gather more information to improve the services and support for people with ID and their families by 2025
CHANGING ATTITUDES IN SOCIETY
- Develop unified sports and inclusion programs in schools to foster positive attitudes towards people with ID
- Create educational toolkits and awareness campaigns like Human R.A.C.E. to address discrimination.