Reach out to more socially-isolated seniors
About Campaignends 26 Sep 2017, 12 AM
Loneliness is a killer. When seniors live in isolation, they are deprived of colour, vitality & support, resulting in them living out of sunset of their lives depressed, bored & helpless. But aging doesn't have to be this way; we can play a part in enriching the days of our seniors & empowering them.
Studies have shown that the lack of social connections is as damaging to our health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day (Holt-Lunstad, 2010). Social networks & friendships not only have an impact on reducing the risk of mortality or developing certain diseases, but they also help individuals to recover when they do fall ill (Marmot, 2010).
Your support will enable Lions Befrienders to be the light for our seniors living in darkness. Your generosity can help us to provide:
- Basic grooming necessities to improve hygiene;
- Basic home cleaning services to keep the domestic environment free of insects and dirt;
- Inexpensive but engaging outings and activities for seniors;
- Medical escorts to accompany seniors to doctor appointments;
- Friendship and care to those who are alone and isolated;
- Recruitment and training of new volunteers to reach out to more socially-isolated seniors;
- New services which will positively impact the lives of seniors.
At Lions Befrienders, our seniors' quality of life is of utmost importance to us. We provide friendship and care for seniors to age in place with dignity and community participation, enabling them to enjoy meaningful and enriching lives during their golden years. Close to 90% of the 5,000 seniors we serve live in one/two-room rental flats with little or no family support. Since inception in 1995, we have served more than 17,000 seniors with the help of more than 3,000 trained volunteers. By 2030, about one in four residents would be 65 years or older and the number of elderly people living alone is likely to increase to 83,000, up from 35,000 now. Hence, with expectations to run new services and more eldercare facilities in the near future, this could raise our annual operating cost from $3.6 million to an estimated $5.5 million in 2016.
Who's Fundraising For Us
Be the first to fundraise for us!